Re: XM Radio

----- Original Message -----
From: "Aaron Read" <aread@speakeasy.net>
To: <boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org>
Sent: Wednesday, December 12, 2001 3:45 AM
Subject: RE: XM Radio

> At 02:14 PM 12/9/01 -0500, Hakim Madjid wrote:
> >73, de Hakim (N1ZFF)
> >
> >My favorite channels so far on it, are BBC World service (a real version
> >there of, not the news feed the BBC distributes to NPR), CNBC, CNET, Deep
> >Tracks, Top Tracks, The Loft, World Zone, XM Classics, Vox (Classical
vocal
> >and Opera) and Fine Tunning.
>
> You would shocked, SHOCKED I say, at how much massaging the programming
> from the Beeb gets when WBUR puts it up.  It's usually delayed quite a
> lot....except for the overnights, which are usually live but since GMT is
5
> hours ahead of Eastern Time, they're only really getting geared up at 3 or
> 4am our time.  :-(
>
> What's really funny was (back when Chris Lydon was still Connection host)
> the massive DROP in the ratings share from 9am to 10am when BBC NewsHour
> runs between Morning Edition and the Connection.

I gotta tell you, the BBC newshour sounded VERY outa place between those two
fine programs.  ME and Connection are very conversational-style american
shows...

Then comes...THE BEEB!  ...with it's haughty-taughty high and mighty
delivery...  And at NINE A-M!  Who can tolerate that in the morning?

I love the BBC....but an hour of world news at 9AM?

> I'm curious though...how have The Connection and Talk of the Nation done
in
> the WBUR ratings now that Dick Gordon and Neal Conan have taken over
> (respectively).  Anyone know?

WBUR put out a press release (can you say 'spin'?) within the last month or
so....touting that the ratings for the connection are "just as high" as they
were when Chris Lydon was doing the show.

I'm sure they found some fragment/breakdown of the ratings to prove it.  I
think the press release was more to prove that "they are getting along just
fine" without Chris...and to put on a face that everything is back to
normal.

Perosnally, I think Dick Gordon is doing a fine job...but he's very "plain
vanilla".  He's a reporter by experience, no?  Which means he's got no
personality.

Chris had that certain "texture" about his persopnality that came thru...

$.02

JP