Re: What's JJ up to?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chuck Igo" <Chuckigo@worldnet.att.net>
To: "Dan Billings" <dib9@gwi.net>
Cc: <boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org>
Sent: Monday, November 19, 2001 9:06 AM
Subject: Re: What's JJ up to?

> nope.  no double standard for me.  check this list.  check the archives.
> i've always been a fan of the owner/operator/broadcaster who is at least
> trying to make a difference.

I stand corrected.  Your double standard is one standard for corporate
broadcasters, another standard for owner/operators.

>Dan, stated that
> JJ's sports offerings are ALSO unique.

I did state that the Big Jab is unique in the market, and I like the
station, but I also stated that I believe someone else would be doing an
all-sports format if JJ was not.

> as far as
> his 1310 being the 4th into the market?  well, his plans were in motion
> before 870 made their flip.

That's true.

>it was kind of hard for him to hit the brakes
> and regroup by that point.

Stations change formats all the time.  It's not hard to figure out that is
is going to be hard for WLOB to make an impact in the market as a talk
station.

> regardless of whether i know the man or not, you absolutely made a blanket
> assessment of  "JJ the individual."  you did make more than an inference
> that JJ might be waiting for the next big group to come along and buy him
> out.  that was, if you think about it, pretty crass.

My statement was based on my observation of how he is running his radio
stations.  I do not see how what he is doing will ever be profitable or
successful in the ratings.  He appears to be providing programming that can
be done on the cheap.  My assumption was that a veteran broadcaster would
not run his operation in such a way unless he had another plan to make money
off his stations.

My assumption was also based on how successful Fuller/Jeffrey was at putting
together their Portland cluster and then selling to Citadel at a much higher
price.  I do not think it is crazy to think that someone who was part of
such a successful strategy in the past might not be planning something
similar on a smaller scale in the future.

You have talked with JJ and accept that he is motivated by providing an
alternative to the corporate broadcasters.  Fair enough, but I stand by my
statement that if that is his motivation, I do not think he is doing a good
job of it, other than with WRED.  I would also suggest that people often
have multiple motivations or motivations inconsistent with what they say
motivates them.  That may not be the case with JJ, but it is not uncommon.

-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine