Re: What's JJ up to?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chuck Igo" <Chuckigo@worldnet.att.net>
To: "Dan Billings" <dib9@gwi.net>
Cc: <boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org>
Sent: Monday, November 19, 2001 9:11 AM
Subject: Re: What's JJ up to?

> umm, Dan:  why should JJ's stations change formats?  why not have 870 and
> 106.7 flip back
> to what they were doing (Nostalgia).

I think WMTW's main motivation is cross-promoting their TV station.  I do
think what they are doing is a successful strategy, but I don't see them
abadoning it anytime soon.  It is easier for an owner/operator like JJ to
change direction.

> imo: the programming on 1310 exceeds that on 870.  870 is trying to do
some
> minor market
> talk on an even lesser budget.  at least the 1310 programming has
clearance
> in other markets.

I agree that the talk programming on WMTW is pretty poor, but it is local.
WLOB only has local talk on Saturday mornings.  WMTW also has the benefit of
promotion through the TV station and their relationship with the Portland
Newspapers.  WLOB has done little to promote itself as a talk station in the
market.

WLOB has a couple of decent shows, but most of the day is fourth rate fare
that may have clearance in other markets but has we're not talking about
shows that are on top rated stations around the country.

-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine