Re: A Group of Towers in Acton

Today for radio navigation pilots use a system called VOR (VHF Omni
Range).  Essentially this is a VHF transmitter in the 108.1 - 118.0 (?)
range that transmits a phased signal.  By reading the phasing coming off of
the transmitter, the aircraft's receiver can "see" a number of different
radials on the signal.  The phasing of these is aligned so that the 0
degree radial corresponds to magnetic North.   Thus if I'm over the
Lawrence VOR transmitter and I set my radio to track the 153 degree radial
I can "follow the needle" and end up in Beverly.  The "needle" is called a
CDI (Course Deviation Indicator) and is generally nothing more that a
needle that indicates if I'm to the left or right of the desired
radial.  This is a simplified explanation.

Prior to these they had a system that I believe was called a radio range
whereby they used four transmitters, each transmitting one of two
letters.  I believe that "A" & "N" were used.  The antennas were somewhat
directional and you listened to which letter was stronger to determine if
you were to the left/right of the course.  This, again, is over simplified
and the system was long since gone before I started flying.

Brian

At 01:56 AM 2/17/00 -0500, SteveOrdinetz wrote:
>I remember when I was a kid there being some sort of beacon in a neighbor's
>field (antenna looked kind of like an upside down spark plug) that was in
>the VHF band...indeed, it made reception of channel 5 difficult.  It
>constantly sent Morse code "A".  Someone told me it was some sort of beacon
>for the local airport.  The building and antenna were fenced in, and there
>was a sign sort of identifying it as being a government facility and that
>all sorts of bad things would happen to you if you messed ith it.  I didn't
>examine it too closely, as the people whose property it was on weren't very
>friendly.  If I'm not mistaken it was shut down by the early 70s.  Anybody
>know what this was?

--Brian T. Vita, President
Cinema Service & Supply, Inc., 75 Walnut St., Peabody, MA  01960-5626
(978)538-7575/Fax (978)538-7550/Sales (800)231-8849/Sales Fax (800)329-2775
***Visit Our Online Store at www.cssinc.com***