Re: A Group of Towers in Acton

<< I'd hear in morse code D E R  (or maybe it was D R Y - i forget now!) I
think signal was actually on or about 340 kHz. >>

That's the Derry NDB, (DRY) on 338 kHz. The third harmonic would appear on
1014 kHz, close enough to overcome WBZ.

I would expect that in not too many years, when GPS becomes the predominant
navigational mode, most of these non-directional beacons will be
decomissioned. Recently, I heard an airline captain ask the center
controller for a football score, explaining that his company had pulled all
the ADF receivers (rigs that tune from 150 kHz to the top of the AM
broadcast band) out of the fleet so they could use the panel space for newer
and more sophisticated gear.

I don't believe proficiency in ADF approaches is any longer required in the
FAA flight test for a pilot's instrument rating. Signs of the times!