Re: A Group of Towers in Acton

"R.L. Caron" wrote:

> << I'd hear in morse code D E R  (or maybe it was D R Y - i forget now!) I
> think signal was actually on or about 340 kHz. >>
>
> That's the Derry NDB, (DRY) on 338 kHz. The third harmonic would appear on
> 1014 kHz, close enough to overcome WBZ.
>
> I would expect that in not too many years, when GPS becomes the predominant
> navigational mode, most of these non-directional beacons will be
> decomissioned. Recently, I heard an airline captain ask the center
> controller for a football score, explaining that his company had pulled all
> the ADF receivers (rigs that tune from 150 kHz to the top of the AM
> broadcast band) out of the fleet so they could use the panel space for newer
> and more sophisticated gear.
>
> I don't believe proficiency in ADF approaches is any longer required in the
> FAA flight test for a pilot's instrument rating. Signs of the times!

Okay, but, I've shot the NDB approach into MHT a number of times, the DRY NDB is
in Londonderry, NH, not near Route 2 in Massachusetts.  I'm not sure what those
towers are, but they sure aren't the DRY NDB.  As for the NDB approach not being
a current skill--I sure wish you would explain that to the last guy who gave me
a  BFR and IFR proficiency exam.

Bob Smith