Re: A Group of Towers in Acton

At 10:29 PM 2/16/00 -0500, Brian Vita wrote:

>For you non-aviators out there, an NDB is a non-directional beacon that
>mindlessly spits out a Morse code identifier 24/7.  The beacons are AM and
>just below the normal broadcast band on the dial.  It is an old form of
>navigation that is in the process of being phased out by the FAA.

I remember when I was a kid there being some sort of beacon in a neighbor's
field (antenna looked kind of like an upside down spark plug) that was in
the VHF band...indeed, it made reception of channel 5 difficult.  It
constantly sent Morse code "A".  Someone told me it was some sort of beacon
for the local airport.  The building and antenna were fenced in, and there
was a sign sort of identifying it as being a government facility and that
all sorts of bad things would happen to you if you messed ith it.  I didn't
examine it too closely, as the people whose property it was on weren't very
friendly.  If I'm not mistaken it was shut down by the early 70s.  Anybody
know what this was?