Stereo for voice (was RE: Dr. Laura anywhere in New England?)

Why don't stations like WVOM, WTKK, WBUR and others on the FM dial that
program mostly talk programming switch off the stereo generator for those
voice-only (stereo-irrelevant) programs? It is not that difficult to
disable that pilot tone - is it simply impractical? As noticed by Rod, it
makes a marked difference in Signal to noise ratio, dB of quieting
required, etc, effectively increasing the range of the station.

WITF 89.5 in Harrisburg, PA used to do that when they switched from their
classical programming to Morning Edition or All Things Considered years
ago - though I don't notice them doing that now - nor does WDUQ 90.5 here
in Pittsburgh.

-Peter Murray
Pittsburgh, PA

(snipped)