Re: Stereo for voice (was RE: Dr. Laura anywhere in New England?)

At 12:33 PM 7/15/2003, Peter Murray wrote:
>Why don't stations like WVOM, WTKK, WBUR and others on the FM dial that
>program mostly talk programming switch off the stereo generator for those
>voice-only (stereo-irrelevant) programs? It is not that difficult to
>disable that pilot tone - is it simply impractical? As noticed by Rod, it
>makes a marked difference in Signal to noise ratio, dB of quieting
>required, etc, effectively increasing the range of the station.

Ummm...Peter?  WBUR *is* in mono near 24/7.   The only time the stereo
pilot is on is during Con Salsa on Saturday/Sunday overnights.   It was on
during Weekend Edition Sunday, too...but I don't know if that's still the
case.  It also was on during NPR's "Anthem" on Saturday nights a few years
ago when WBUR briefly carried it.

WSKO 99.7 in Rhode Island has also shut off their stereo pilot now that
they're all sports-talk.