Stereo for voice (was RE: Dr. Laura anywhere in New England?)

<<On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 12:33:34 -0400 (EDT), Peter Murray <pete@partnercomm.com> said:

> Why don't stations like WVOM, WTKK, WBUR and others on the FM dial that
> program mostly talk programming switch off the stereo generator for those
> voice-only (stereo-irrelevant) programs?

WBUR does, so far as I'm aware.  I believe WGBH does not.  Most NPR
programs are produced in stereo.

Some stations may be afraid to turn off the stereo generator simply
because many listeners interpret the stereo light as an indication of
signal quality.

-GAWollman