Re: WILD Sign-offs??

--- dan.strassberg@att.net wrote:
> I don't believe that PSSA (or PSRA) powers can be
> higher than 500W. Moreover,
> PSRA powers are generally higher than PSSA powers.
> The reasons for this are
> historic. PSRAs came along before PSSAs, at a time
> when the FCC was more
> lenient.
<snip>

    In the early 1970s, WARE in Ware operated with a
PSRA power when sunrise was later than 6 a.m., its
usual sign-on time. It was licensed for 1 kW, DA
night, and signed off at 12 or 1 a.m.

   The night pattern was really bad for the area it
wanted to cover. Knowing what I now now, I guess they
kept using the PSRA of a few hundred watts,
non-directional, that they must have had back when it
was a daytime only station. They must have figured the
PSRA worked better for them.

   I'm also trying to remember whether under the rules
at that time they avoided needing to have the engineer
come on duty in the morning because they weren't
changing pattern, only power, at sunrise. Did an
engineer still need to handle all pattern changes
circa 1972-74?