Re: WILD Sign-offs??

I can't answer the question about the need for an engineer on duty to handle
the pattern change, but I can say for certain that WARE was not unique. Quite a
few Class B stations licensed for night powers higher than 500W use PSRAs at
500W or less. I haven't listened to WXKS (AM) enough this year to know what
they are doing--or whether whatever it is even SOUNDS like its legal, but in
quite a few years in the past, they have used thir 500W-ND PSRA even though
their license allows 1 kW-N DA-N. With a transmitter located east of most of
the market and a night pattern that's nulled to the west to protect WNSW and
WENE, the 500W ND PSRA covers much more of the market (for example Somerville
and Cambridge) than the nighttime directional operation, which doesn't even
cover enough of Medford (the community in which the TX is located) for the
station to claim Medford as its COL.

I sure wish I could figure out whether WBIX is directional during the 15
minutes between Natick sunset and Philadelphia sunset. Also, I'd like to know
what power they use during those 15 minutes. They do stay on for the full two
hours after local sunset and I'm pretty sure that they run more power for the
45 minutes from Philadelphia sunset to 1 hour past local sunset than they run
during the second hour. For the first 15 minutes, I can pick them up in
Arlington Heights, although the reception is a bit fuzzy. For the remainder of
the first hour, you can pick them up on 128 if you have a good car radio. For
the second hour, I think the coverage is limited to the Framingham dump across
the street from the TX and maybe the bowling alley next door to the Tx. All
they do adter the first 15 minutes is duplicate WBBR 1130 in New York.

I think that some stations that are licensed for higher power at night than
during the day even use PSRAs at powers lower than the licensed day power
because the day pattern is so much more favorable than the night pattern.

--
dan.strassberg@att.net
617-558-4205