Re: Commercials 103.3

At 11:22 PM 9/29/2002, Joseph Pappalardo wrote:
>Listen to Kiss 108 overnight?  Same clock as during the day...and still sold
>out!
>Joe

IMHO that is due more to Clear Channel's clout as a massive license-holder
and a billboard-owner.  By which I mean CC has forced advertisers to pay
more to buy packages that fill the entire schedule...by not offering
packages that allow sponsors to buy just daytime spots.   Not quite
monopoly abuse...but close enough in my book.

Quick side note - when I was up in Montreal in March I couldn't resist
swinging by some of the local studios and they were quite gracious to
me.  Offered a tour and we swapped stories about how radio is done on both
sides of the border.  When I noticed that I hadn't heard a lot of
commercials in the hour or so I was there my counterpart remarked that he
was recently dismayed by how they've increased their commercial load to
about 15 minutes per hour.  I chuckled and told him the standard was more
like 21 or 22 minutes in Boston.  He was aghast, but he thanked me for
providing a little perspective to Canadian radio  ;-)

Aaron "Bishop" Read     aread@speakeasy.net
FriedBagels Technical Consulting / Boston, MA
www.friedbagels.com   AOL-IM: ReadAaron