Re: Commercials 103.3

On Sun, 29 Sep 2002 16:14:55 -0700 (PDT) Bob Nelson
<raccoonradio@yahoo.com> writes:
> > There's always public radio  ;-))  Fundraising ends
> > Wednesday
>
> Yup--that can be annoying too (though necessary). Good
> example: WKSU in Kent, OH does a great folk show on
> weekends. But during pledge time, it's play two
> songs, fundraise for ten minutes. Play two songs,
> fundraise some more, etc.

Not a good idea on WKSU's part.  I know yesterday when I was pitching we
were making decisions on what segments of Weekend ATC to pitch over based
on how long we were going to have to pitch to get back into the program
smoothly.  We did NOT pitch in the last half hour of the program because
it was not realistic given the length and content of the segments, so we
gave up pitching opportunities.  Same thing for News Hour from the BBC.
We would have liked to have covered the "Crickett scores" with a pledge
break but getting in and out would not have been worth the interruption
in the programming.

> And then there are the non-comms who _don't_ fundraise
> on the air. Lots of music then...though
> the signal might not exactly be strong. Oh well!

So where do they get their money?
df