Re: Boston Catholic Television (Was 103.5FM...now 'Memory Lane')

On 5 Nov 2001 at 11:39, Sven Franklyn Weil wrote:

> P.S. Jim, what's a UHF strip?  First time I've heard of those.

In the older TV tuners, each channel had its own tuned circuit.  It was possible, in at least some
of them, to remove the circuit for an unused VHF channel and substitute one for a desired UHF
channel.

> In old encyclopaedias I've read about the UHF converter boxes (which are
> almost like the analogue CATV boxes used today).  THe thing is about the
> size of a radio, you connect it to the TV's antenna screws and tune the TV
> set to channel 3 and you could watch the UHF stations over VHF 3 -- much
> like you do with CATV, VCRs and VideoCD/DVD players today.

I actually had one.  My parents bought one of the very last VHF-only TV sets, and at some point,
when I was in law school, I had it in my study in the basement.  When Star Trek ended its
network run and appeared in reruns on channel 56, I bought a UHF converter at Lafayette Radio,
so that I could watch Star Trek while studying.

> In fact, some years back, I had a TV set that only picked up VHF channels
> so remembering what I had read as a kid, I used a cable box to pick up
> over-the air UHF stations by hooking up a pair of rabbit ears to the
> CATV-in jack in the back of the box.  I figured it would work....and it
> did!

I don't see how that would work, since I believe that the channels used by cable companies are
all VHF frequencies.

 A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                                         617.367.0468
  15 Court Square, Suite 210                      lawyer@attorneyross.com