Re: Station ID's (was wxlo uses..)

<<On Sun, 7 Oct 2001 22:17:51 -0400, "Dan Billings" <dib9@gwi.net> said:

> The southeastern part of the county is potato country with lots of open,
> flat potato fields.

The northeastern part is, too.  (My grandparents were from New Canada
(which was then a Plantation), and my mother was born and lived in
Eagle Lake before moving to Connecticut at the age of three.)

> Aroostook County is a great place to live, if you don't need a job.

That's certainly true.  Scott and I were up there back in 1998, and it
seemed that all of the industry, such as there was, was on the New
Brunswick side.  (There is a full-power CBC retransmitter on channel 4
in Bon Accord (or is it Grand-Sault?) as well as a few local
French-language radio stations.)  Broadcast TV is limited to CBAT,
CBAFT in Edmundston and Grand-Sault, a couple of commercial
French-language outlets in Edmundston (rebroadcasting Riviere-du-Loup,
Quebec), and WAGM and WMEM in Presque Isle.  I assume most people up
there who have any money at all subscribe to satellite TV.

Besides potatoes, forestry is the other big industry up there.  A
large part of both is owned by New Brunswick's Irving family, who are
the second-largest employer (after the government) in that province.

-GAWollman