Re: Audio Election Watch

At 5:38 PM -0400 8/31/01, Sean Smyth wrote:

>This is because reporters rarely stay at newspapers long enough to build a
>rapport with the people who matter. Same goes for editors. Either that, or
>most of these papers (especially CNC pre-Herald purchase, where a lot of the
>weeklies were cannibalized) have been stripped of a good chunk of their
>resources. Newspapers that had two or three reporters now have one -- and
>don't even have their own editor anymore. (For the purposes of full
>disclosure, I was a CNC sports editor for a year and a half.)

I've also been told that a lot of the local papers refuse to cover
some of the local races because they're afraid of being accused to
giving more coverage to one candidate than to another.  So, they'll
print a candidate's announcement, and cover the candidate's forum,
but beyond that all they'll do is accept advertising from the
committee to elect Joe Schmoe.

--
Larry Weil
Lake Wobegone, NH