RE: Various replies

At 12:11 AM 10/19/99 -0400, Sven Weil wrote:

>Guess what. That's what digital terrestial radio is.  Canada is already
>moving in that direction and so is the EC.  Typically, the US is light
>years behind and  trying to implement a sub-par technology - IBOC  (In
>Band On Channel) Digital Audio
>Broadcasting.  NO other country except this one has been soo dog-gone
>insistent on this way of doing digital radio.  What's going to be even
>nicer after digital radio is a reality, is that "american" radios will be
>useless in canada or europe and vice versa.  IIRC Canada is trying the
>Eureka format, ditto Europe

With all the bleating on this list about how DTV is gonna make our present
TV receivers obsolete in 10 years, you'd think that IBOC would be welcomed
with open arms.  If I'm not mistaken, it will allow for current analog
b'casts to be retained while adding digital.  I for one am not terribly
anxious to have to replace every radio I own to gain something of dubious
value.