Re: A favor

Garrett: I know nothing about the areas of high and low population density
in and around Rahlee, Durrm, and Hah Pawnt. I do know that WPTF is a really
old station and I assume that its TX site is a lot older than most of the
residences in that area. Maybe the population just deployed itself in areas
that happen to lie in WPTF's nulls. As you well know, that phenomenon has
affected many hundreds (maybe thousands) of AMs in the US.

I guess that those self-supporting towers are really sturdy--perhaps because
they are so fat. The towers have been replaced (in some cases more than
once) at most sites of that age. I think it's a curiosity that WPTF does not
use its 122-degree day tower as part of its night array. Lord knows, there
are plenty of two-tower arrays in which the towers are of unequal height.
Using towers of unequal heights complicates the engineering a bit--and
probably complicated it quite a bit in the pre-computer age when WPTF built
its site, but there are a bunch of OLD arrays that use towers of unequal
heights. So the calculations weren't a mystery.

I have no way of getting information on the location of the day tower
relative to the night towers. Conceivably, a more favorable night pattern
could be synthesized by using all three towers. Of course, WPTF is now quite
well hemmed in. There are few directions in which it could improve its night
signal without increasing interference to some station built long after WPTF
but that now requires protection.

--
Dan Strassberg, dan.strassberg@att.net
eFax 707-215-6367