Re: Phoenix Editorial | The Duo of Dung Radio

At 12:53 AM 10/13/2003, Mark Laurence wrote:

>On Sunday, October 12, 2003, at 09:33  PM, Kevin Vahey wrote:
>
>>Umm Roger the Phoenix has an entire adult section every week and if you
>>talk to people who work there, those ads keep the paper afloat.
>
>The adult ads are in a special section but it's pretty small.  Unless
>they're getting a huge rate, the Phoenix makes a lot more money off of
>event advertising and regular retail than they do off of the adult
>stuff.  It's not part of the news sections and they make it easy to toss
>out the adult stuff if you want to ignore it.
>
>So, they run ads for escort services.  I don't see how that makes the
>Phoenix hypocrites for wanting allegedly racist radio hosts to be
>fired.  I do agree that their radio network was starting to go down the
>low road, and that makes their WEEI opinions look less noble.
>
>Mark

By the way, some time ago I was told that WFNX survived because of the ad
revenue from the Phoenix, and that the radio station was basically
Mindich's sandbox to play in; as long as it didn't lose too much money, it
didn't matter.  This was well before FNX became the mini-network it is now.

I'm curious if anyone knows, or would care to speculate, on the truth of
that rumor and whether or not it might be true today.   One would think
that they couldn't - and wouldn't - operate a network on a loss; it must be
generating SOME profit...