Re: Double letters in Boston-market calls

At 12:56 PM 7/8/2003, Donna Halper wrote:
>At 11:25 AM 7/8/2003 +0000, Dan wrote:
>
>>The most famous Boston-market call sign containing a double letter is
>>WEEI (and
>>in keeping with the "double" theme, it's been on two frequencies, 590 and
>>850).
>>Currently, there are three others that I can think of--WTKK 96.9, WWZN 1510,
>>and WLLH 1400. Others have been WTTK and WKKT (both on 100.7), WSSH (both AM
>>1510 and FM 99.5), WKKU 1510, WTTP 1060, and WWEA 740. Can anyone think of
>>others?
>Let's not forget a pioneer station from the early 1920s-- WBBG, the
>precursor of what is today WNBH in New Bedford, and yes their signal did
>get to Boston.  WBBG was operated by the late great Irving Vermilya,
>co-founder of WNBH and their ops manager/engineer for many years.  Irving
>was also a legend in ham radio-- W1-ZE.  WBBG was on the air in
>Mattapoissett, from Irving's home, till about 1925... Performers came by
>and entertained 3 nights a week-- as the story goes, Irving's wife came
>home one day and found he had built a radio station in the living
>room...imagine her surprise.

Shame shame shame - y'all forgot Northeastern University's pride and joy:
WRBB!  :-)   WAAF is technically Worcester but they sure try to make folks
believe they're in Boston.  Nearby there's also WSRS (Worcester) and a
double-whammy, WWBB (Providence) plus WWKX (Woonsocket) WDDZ (Pawtucket)
WNNZ (Westfield) WNNW (Lawrence) WHJJ (Providence)

Do WNTN, WEZE and WROR count? (double-letters but not sequential)  How
about WGBH's W242AA?  :-)

Disclaimer - the preceeding is culled from scanning
Radio-Locator.com....author disowns any claims to accuracy. :-/