NBC Chimes (was Re: NBC Radio News)

--- Bill O'Neill <billo@shoreham.net> wrote:
> Any info on what affils. are lining up for the
> recently-announced NBC
> Radio News?

I don't know, but then again I hadn't heard that NBC
Radio News was making a comeback. I don't know the
exact date, but didn't Westwood One buy NBC Radio
and Mutual and then put both off the air, some
years back?

NBC, of course, had a prominent place in old-time
radio and their top-of-the hour news kept running
for a long time as well. At first, they would run the
NBC chimes (bong, bong, bong--musically, it was
probably G-E-C) sounding very much like actual bells.
Later the chimes (used as the TOH news theme)
sounded like they were played on a synthesizer.

A few weeks back, when WODS' "Lost 45s" commemorated
the anniversary of the Blizzard of 78, they played
an excerpt from NBC Radio News. You heard the familiar
chimes, followed by "NBC Radio News. This is Ann
Taylor" (since gone to NPR?). Then there was a report
on the storm from their Boston affiliate-- WBZ
Radio. Anyway, was interesting to hear the chimes
then, for the first time in awhile.

Also: I remember an episode of Saturday Night Live
from '76, when NBC was celebrating its 50th year
in broadcasting. The show opened up with what looked
like a live radio broadcast from the golden days of
radio--a band and background singers backed up regular
Garrett Morris as he sang a song based upon the
familiar NBC chimes.
Kind of a salute to NBC history, there...