Re: License changes

At 01:16 AM 3/2/2003 -0500, A. Joseph Ross wrote:
>So if Governor Romney's proposed reorganization of UMass goes through,
>will it require FCC
>approval, seeing as how the present Board of Trustees holds the license
>for WMUA (and
>probably WUMB and WJUL)?

According to the FCC FM Query, the holders of the licenses are:

WUMB = "The University of Massachusetts"
WJUL = "University of Massachusetts   Lowell"
WMUA = "University of Massachusetts"
WSMU = "University of Massachusetts   Dartmouth"

So it's not the Board of Trustees (techincally, but we're arguing specifics
anyway) but something a little more nebulous.   Interestingly enough, if
UMass Lowell were spun off...they would retain their license and could use
it to generate revenue (via fundraising & underwriting...all within the
usual restrictions of non-comm stations) for themselves; it wouldn't go
back to the "home office".

Of course, that's only if no action is taken regarding the license at the
time of spin off.