RE: Fred Rogers

> Is there any way that programs like the ones pioneered by
> Fred Rogers and
> Bob Keeshan can be adapted to conform to the realities of today's
> broadcast companies?  I'd love to hear some thoughts on how it CAN BE
> DONE, not why it can't
> df

I'd look at Levarr Burton and the great work he's done post-Trek.  There
could easily be a vehicle for him that gives him broader reach and
relevance.  I suspect it would not be a PBS launch, however. My
suspicion that Rogers' insistence on keeping his product out of Toy-R-Us
was a thorn in the sides of the network (although not sure about that.)
I don't see PBS developing new talent like that that doesn't translate
to merchandise.  I'd look to commercial offerings like ABC Family or one
of the many Discovery channels on the digital band.  As for
mainstreaming it, that would take a very rich uncle.

Bill O'Neill