RE: goodbye to 2002

At 09:49 AM 1/2/2003, SteveOrdinetz wrote:
>Of course many automakers have gotten wise to this and have designed their
>interiors so that either the radio is odd-shaped or integrated into the
>dash.  While factory stereos generally have fewer bells & whistles, they
>also seem to be less flimsy than aftermarket ones.  Not having 87 dinky
>little buttons to deal with is a plus, too.  Also, if you want to listen
>to AM, forget about an aftermarket one.
>
>Sales of aftermarket stereos must be down...there are fewer & fewer places
>that carry them anymore...Rat Shack for one has discontinued car stereos.

Possibly, but my guess is that it's more that car stereo sales have become
more the domain of major chains like Best Buy and Circuit City that have
come to dominate the electronics/media/computers field...."smaller" chains
like Radio Shack can't compete because they can't offer installation and
the radios themselves are not "fancy" enough to compete with all the
mini-TV-like-display units that Best Buy loves to show off (don't get me
started on how unbelieveably stupid and potentially distracting those
radios are).

I've noticed Radio Shack has, over the past few years, seriously
restructured themselves in terms of what and how they sell things.  A hefty
chunk of the really geeky stuff they used to have is gone.   Home theater
and cellphones are very much in.  Most recently all the Radio Shacks around
Boston (and in New London, CT) have moved a large portion of their parts &
connectors into a more space-efficient drawer system.  I like the drawers
with the handy pictures (sounds lame, I know...but it does make "scanning
the shelves" a little easier) but I've noticed that the drawers have far
smaller parts stock in them.  Oh well...guess if I have an urgent need for
20 XLR male connectors then I'm either YDI or I'm SOL  ;-)    Point is,
though, that by and large, if something isn't selling with brisk volume at
RS - they stop selling it.  I've noticed that their sales of whole
computers must be down as their computer display kiosks have gotten a lot
smaller.

Aaron "Bishop" Read     aread@speakeasy.net
FriedBagels Technical Consulting / Boston, MA
www.friedbagels.com   AOL-IM: ReadAaron