Re: goodbye to 2002

At 10:34 AM 1/2/2003, Sven Franklyn Weil wrote:
>After all, I only bought a CD player (a Teac desktop single cd component
>unit to add on to my radio) about 3 years ago...now that I'm firmly
>convinced they won't go obsolete any time soon (like 8-tracks).  :)
>--
>Sven (I'll wait another 20 years for Mini-Disk)

(Aaron blows the dust off his cloudy crystal ball)

Bzzzt.  CD's are already on their way out.  It's very subtle, but I've
noticed that already at many chain stores the CD player selection is
getting smaller and smaller.  Why?  Because DVD players can play CD's,
too...and are cheaper (to the consumer) than most CD players....why should
a manufacturer pay to maintain two separate product lines?

I was chatting with the guys at the Sony service center in Westwood, MA a
few months ago...they told me Sony plans to replace the CD entirely in
favor of DVD's by 2010.   Granted, that's hearsay, but from a source that
probably has a halfway decent idea what he's talking about.   Given that
timeline, I would expect to see DVD discs in the audio CD section in force
by 2005 or 2006.   The main wrench in the works that I can see is the
introduction of the blue-laser DVD, which could tip off another VHS vs.
Beta war unless Hollywood steps in and tells the manufacturers to knock it
off (I expect they will and by the end of 2003).

Super-Audio-CD's will likely never get off the ground...SACD offers
absolutely nothing in the way of audio fidelity that makes average Joes
stand up and take notice.  (although to audiophiles like us, I'll say the
demo I heard did sound really good)  Plus both the hardware and the media
infrastructure isn't there and likely never will be as the world migrates
to DVD's.

BTW - Minidisc is already dying in the US.  Virtually no major electronics
chain carries MD players/recorders anymore.  Even the blanks are getting
hard to find. Sony/Panasonic waited too long to introduce MD in force to
the US - by the time they did, it was already too easy for your average Joe
to burn his own CD's.    I expect we'll see MD on the overseas scene for a
while, though...it was VERY popular in Asia and Europe in the early and mid
1990's.

Aaron "Bishop" Read     aread@speakeasy.net
FriedBagels Technical Consulting / Boston, MA
www.friedbagels.com   AOL-IM: ReadAaron