Re: Commercials 103.3

On Sun, 29 Sep 2002 18:17:49 -0400 SteveOrdinetz <steveord@bit-net.com>
writes:

> I was listening ot an aircheck of WKPE/Orleans circa mid 80s (which
> believe was privately owned at the time),

Probably Wilks-Schwartz.

> and they had several
> mega-length
> stopsets in the hour I heard.  Hardly a new phenomenon.  As I
> recall, in
> the mid-60s it raised quite a stir when Bill Drake actually limited
> spots
> to (I believe) 12 min/hr.  Before that, it was quite common to have
> 15-20
> min/hr (though not clustered, just cluttered).

Mega spots has always been around I think... but the trend since the
eighties has been to play several songs in a row (like 8-9-10) at least
one an hour pace out teh spots, but more spots paly in a row... also,
there are generally fewer stop sets in an hour now (like 2 or 3) as
opposed to the old days were there would be 4, 5 or 6 per hour.

Another thing to remember is the number of UNITS (spots).  60 second
spots were common place in the 60's-70's, and are now more of a rarity...
now :30's, :15 and even :10 are more common place.

My wonderment about the issue is... don't advertisers get lost in those 6
or 7 unit clusters?  Many times, the first spot is for a station
promotion... would you not think that most listeners tune out then?

-Rick Kelly
www.northeastairchecks.com

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.