Re: Phillips Academy Andover Open; WPAA-FM Is B-a-a-a-ck

All Class D FM's (Limited to 10W TPO but their ERP's and HAAT may vary
wildly) are grandfathered.  The FCC has not accepted new Class D
applications since 1978, except in Alaska.  In 1978, all Class D's that
could upgrade to Class A status were required to do so, and those that
couldn't were allowed to remain on the air, but their frequencies were
changed at the FCC's discretion to make room for the other upgrading-to-A
Class D's.   That's how we got WRBB on 104.9 and WBRS on 100.1, and how
WMFO got on 91.5 (they were on 91.7 when they were a Class D)

During the madhouse that this process was, a lot of bizarre exceptions were
made, including WBRS's getting 25W ERP (they had to sign an agreement with
third-adjacent WZLX that nobody who worked in the Rabb Graduate School
building was a WZLX listener...because within that building (which the WBRS
tower is on) WBRS nukes WZLX, and WZLX would not allow the move unless they
could be assured they wouldn't lose any listeners from it.  What a load of
BS...but I've heard the story from people who worked at Brandeis when it
happened, so I guess it's probably true.

I imagine something similar happened with WPAA...the minimum for a Class A
license, then and now, is 100 watts at 30m HAAT.  A little math confirms
that 25 watts at 64m HAAT is pretty close to the equivalent of a Class A
minimum (a tiny bit stronger, actually).  WPAA was smart enough to realize
that to stay a Class D was very risky as all Class D's are secondary
service providers and subject to getting stomped by primary services (as
both WBRS and WRBB have learned too late and are now regretting, with
co-channels WWFX and WBOQ respectively)

Anyways, all non-commercial stations (not just Class D's) owned by
educational institutions have automatic dispensation to shut down during
school break periods.  Chapter and verse are below, but the last sentence
is the pertinent one.

http://www.hallikainen.com/cgi-bin/section.pl?section=73.561
Sec. 73.561 Operating schedule; time sharing. (a) All noncommercial
educational FM stations will be licensed for unlimited time operation
except those stations operating under a time sharing arrangement. All
noncommercial educational FM stations are required to operate at least 36
hours per week, consisting of at least 5 hours of operation per day on at
least 6 days of the week; however, stations licensed to educational
institutions are not required to operate on Saturday or Sunday or to
observe the minimum operating requirements during those days designated on
the official school calendar as vacation or recess periods.

That may be the rule, but I think it's ridiculous that such a valuable
commodity in Top-20 markets is legally allowed to be completely unused for
88% of every week.

Aaron "Bishop" Read     aread@speakeasy.net
FriedBagels.com Technical Consulting
www.friedbagels.com   AOL-IM: ReadAaron