Re: Phillips Academy Andover Open; WPAA-FM Is B-a-a-a-ck

On 11 Sep 2002 at 15:10, Aaron [Bishop] Read wrote:

> That may be the rule, but I think it's ridiculous that such a valuable
> commodity in Top-20 markets is legally allowed to be completely unused for
> 88% of every week.

I doubt this rule has been changed since the 1950s.  Back then,
commercial FMs often weren't on for much longer than that.  I remember
WBZ-FM signing on at 5:00 PM and signing off at midnight.   WXHR, a stand-
alone FM, used to operate from 4:30 PM till midnight or 1 AM.  WEEI-FM,
simulcasting AM, signed on at 2 PM.  The non-commercial stations didn't
operate for much longer.  WGBH-FM signed on around 5:00 PM in those days.
 WERS and WBUR used to sign on at 2 PM during the school year and 5 PM
during the summer.

And, BTW, Channel 2 generally signed on around 5 PM on weekdays.  They
were off the air all day Saturday and were on in the daytime only on
Sunday -- except for programming aimed at schools during weekday
mornings.   During the 6-Day War in 1967, they came on in the daytime,
pointing the camera at a UPI teletype, so that viewers could read the
news typing out.

When I was at WMUA in the 1960s, we came on in the morning with "Coffee
On Campus" from 7 to 9 or 10, then we were off until 4:30.  We had longer
broadcast days on Saturday and Sunday.  We were off during the summer and
all school vacations.  These days, with the help of local alums and some
other non-students, the station is on daily from early morning until at
least 12:30 PM, and often till 3 AM, even during the summer.