Re: Costa/Eagle Flip Flop Trifecta Weekend

 Gary Francis wrote:

> I've never felt that UML Hockey had any kind of audience (except maybe the
> families of the local players) - the few times that we had technical
> problems and lost part of a game when I was on the board at WLLH we got
nary
> a call........the only calls were complaints from the "q-tip crowd"
> wondering where the "music, memories and more" was.................

   When I was at WHAV (now WCCM 1490 Haverhill) they carried Red Sox and
Bruins games. This was when the flagship station was WPLM-FM (99.1 Plymouth)
and their world famous "Campbell Sports Network". The folks at 1490 were
shall I say "economically efficient" in not spending $$$ for a satellite
dish or even a phone line for the feed. They opted for the "dollar saver
plan" which was a boom box atop the equipment rack just outside the AM
studio, using the whip antenna fully extended and wired from the headphone
jack into the patch panel. One night, during a Sox game, WPLM's signal was
overtaken by WPLR in New Haven CT, so I had to dump out of the game and dial
up WPLM to get feed over the phone. Never got a call from anyone wondering
where the game went. Although ther station manager wanted to know why I ran
up the station's long distance bill. Geez....

Also, occasionally if a plane flew overhead during games, the signal flutter
made for good audio as well.....

Mark Watson