Re: Sept 9 Amber Alert Meeting

At 06:42 PM 9/7/2002, Dave Faneuf wrote:
>I posted this last weekend forgetting that it was a holiday weekend so
>I'll repost it now and see if I can get any reaction:
>Last Saturday's (8/31) Herald carrys an AP story in which Acting Governor
>Jane Swift is calling for a September 9th meeting with TV and Radio
>station executives  to ask them to help plan an Amber Alert system for
>Massachusetts.  (I don't know if the story is on the Herald website or
>not, I didn't look).   Since there are a couple of executives of major
>radio stations in Boston on this list I'd like to throw out the question,
>what would work for you?
>df

I'd like to see three things:

1: an EAS hardware system that actually works...perhaps off a satellite
system...paid for by the FCC.  All EAS encoders/decoders must be built to a
very strict hardware and user-interface standard.  i.e. "Push Button A to
forward test.  Push Button B to forward real alert, etc)

2: requirement of all radio stations that all actual EAS alerts - including
weather - must be broadcast in their original form.  No more of this "We'll
just read the alert on the air" crap.

3: finally, and no doubt most difficult, force all receiver manufacturers
to add the circuitry EAS was supposed to use to turn radios on (that are
off) automatically in case of an alert.

Aaron "Bishop" Read       aread@speakeasy.net
Fried Bagels Consulting   www.friedbagels.com
AOL-IM: ReadAaron         Brighton, MA 02135
"I'm weird, but around here it's hardly noticeable."