Re: Sept 9 Amber Alert Meeting

--- Aaron 'Bishop' Read <aread@speakeasy.net>
wrote:
> I'd like to see three things:
>
> 1: an EAS hardware system that actually
> works...perhaps off a satellite
> system...paid for by the FCC.  All EAS
> encoders/decoders must be built to a
> very strict hardware and user-interface standard.

> i.e. "Push Button A to
> forward test.  Push Button B to forward real
alert,
> etc)

That's exactly how the units I worked with at Saga's
South Portland facility were set up.  And the units
worked very well.

> 2: requirement of all radio stations that all
actual
> EAS alerts - including
> weather - must be broadcast in their original
form.
> No more of this "We'll
> just read the alert on the air" crap.

I strongly disagree with this, unless alerts are only
sent out when there is REAL weather trouble.  Try
listening to Maine Public Radio on a summer afternoon
with normal thundershowers around -- there are EAS
alerts every few minutes.  It is pointless and just
causes people to turn the radio.

-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine