Re: WGHJ, WCCM-FM, WCGY

     My information was based by the information
provided to me by one of the engineers at the time
(1982) at WCGY, while at an IBS convention in DC.
However, then again, 93.7 DID go through many changes
(and engineers) since the WGHJ days so I would not be
surprised if they still operated from the old WGHJ
site until the new 50,000 watt Andover site was on
line.
     I personally recalled that the old WCCM-FM signal
was practically non-existant in Randolph in early
1973. Then, all of a sudden, WCCM-FM was very strong
in Randolph, almost at par with the Boston stations
transmitting from Needham and the Pru.
     This might be a good question to ask Donna Halper
about 93.7's transmitter history!!  Donna? (please!).

-Peter Q.

--- Laurence Glavin <lglavin@lycos.com> wrote:
> I'm quite certain that the otherwise estimable Peter
> George has erred
> in his description of the early days of WGHJ,
> WCCM-FM and WCGY.(Here's anothere thread: wasn't the
> earliest incarnation of an FM station on
> 93.7 in Lawrence, MA  actually WLAW-FM?)
> It NEVER broadcast from the building in downtown
> Lawrence that's today
> a chiropractic clinic or something. (Or the previous
> studio on Valley St.)
> If you went back in time to the start of
> broadcasting on WGHJ(FM)
> you'd see two towers off Chandler Rd in Andover...a
> 200-foot three-legged
> standalone tower for WCCM-AM, and a guy-wire
> supported 100-foot tower with
> two horizontal bays; the latter was WGHJ(FM) with
> 1350 watts, not
> 5,000. This situation lasted for several years until
> the Gowdys
> (Curt, not Doug) decided that FM had a future and
> they made the
> investment in the tower that's there today (although
> WQSX has departed
> for Peabody).
>
> Laurence Glavin
> Methuen, MA
>

> See Dave Matthews Band live or win a signed guitar

http://r.lycos.com/r/bmgfly_mail_dmb/http://win.ipromotions.com/lycos_020201/splash.asp

=====
Peter Q. George (K1XRB)
Whitman, Massachusetts