Re: Donna wants a t-shirt

Donna writes:
> Any list-members from Connecticut who can advise me on how to get the
brand
> new T-shirt of the NCAA Women's Champions, the undefeated University of
> Connecticut?  What a great season, 39-0.  I notice that only the Boston
> Globe really covers women's basketball-- our old friend Susan Bickelhaupt,
> who was once the radio editor, covers women's sports very well.  Any
> theories out there as to why so little TV and radio attention is given to
> women's basketball, even when there are huge sell-out crowds watching the
> games?

Being the frequent sports-talk show caller you are, you should try calling
WEEI and getting through on Dale and Neumie's show tomorrow!

I think women's basketball is, unfortunately, never going to get equal media
attention to the men's tourney. However, they're making small steps. From
what I hear, ESPN/ESPN2 will be airing the women's tournament in its
entirety next year. (They aired nearly 50 of the 63 games this year, I
think.) The only thing with that is that there's some funky start times to
games (10 a.m. and 12 midnight, for example) but it's a start.

I thought UConn's women's team got pretty good coverage. Doesn't CPTV air
quite a few of their games? Around here, Penn State's women and men get
about equal coverage (which isn't all that much), even though the women have
been somewhat more successful in recent years and generally have quite a few
players from the region on their team.

I do like the coverage that Susan and Barbara Huebner do for women's sports
in the Globe. I am surprised the Herald never did more with this, since they
often give more coverage to less popular sports (i.e. boxing, horse racing,
high schools).