Re: Disney versus Koppel

At 03:07 PM 3/2/2002 -0500, Donna Halper wrote:
>While not strictly a radio topic, this certainly does relate to
>broadcasting's (allegedl) commitment to the public interest.  I notice
>that ABC is seriously considering cancelling "Nightline" and replacing it
>with Letterman (whose contract with CBS is nearly up).  The reason given
>is that while Ted Koppel's long-running show still gets numbers, they are
>not "desirable" numbers-- that is, the audience is skewing older.

I remember reading a while back that Disney has had it in for TV news for a
long time now...this move does not surprise me.  What does interest me is
that I saw a news blurb about this in a local (French-speaking) newscast in
Montreal this weekend as I was scanning the dial at 2am.  (yup - I headed
to the great white north for a weekend of inebriation...and I got a tour of
CKAC while I was at it :-)   At first I was wondering why the hell the
newscast was showing clips of Koppel and then Letterman but I caught
another report on the issue from CNN (in English) a few minutes later.

Apparently they feel it's a big deal up north as well...this seemed to be a
lead or near-lead story.

Aaron "Bishop" Read       aread@speakeasy.net
Fried Bagels Consulting   www.friedbagels.com
12 Walnut St. / Waltham, MA / 02453