Disney versus Koppel

Auntie Donna,
You hit the nail right on the head!!! The concept of
the Public interest died in 1996 with the
telecommications act! Take note of your friendly
neighborhood Clear Channel, Infinity, Entercomm etc,
etc. stations taken to out-of-town voice-tracking, or
shady national contests and now some stations have
gotten soooo cheap they share voice talent from across
the hall off another station. In Portland for example,
there are stations that have their morning talents on
from 5:30am to 12:00noon! ZZZZZZZ... I have heard the
afternoon person go from 12:00 noon to 7pm! I know
that a portion or ALL of this is voice-tracked, but
even to the average listener this must be cumbersome.
Even worse, is the full timers tracking 7 days a week.

Radio has not only become boring, but like you said
Donna, public interest has fallen second to the bottem
line.

Take care,
Roy Lawrence

Donna Halper Wrote:
Are we now in fact finished with the concept of
"public interest"?  I seldom see the FCC taking
licenses away from owners based on their not serving
the public interest....