RE: Disney versus Koppel

Donna Halper writes:

>While not strictly a radio topic, this certainly does relate to
>broadcasting's (allegedl) commitment to the public interest.  I notice that
>ABC is seriously considering cancelling "Nightline" and replacing it with
>Letterman (whose contract with CBS is nearly up).

I first heard the Letterman to ABC /let's then can Ted Koppel romour on
Friday. It was extensively discussed on the various cable news outlets, such
as CNN, CNBC, and Fox News.

IMHO, it figures that an outfit like Disney, which, from time immemorial,
has been in the business of selling escapist entertainment, would can Ted
Koppel for Letterman.

One factor at work here, besides advertising demographics, is that ABC is
desperate to boost their sagging viewership. I guess they're hoping if they
lure Letterman away from CBS, that might help. I for one think it is a silly
plan. For me anyway Letterman is getting to be a an all too predictable,
stale, and tired old act - I tuned out on him about 7 or 8 years ago - so I
don't think he's going to help ABC much. I understand much of the time
Letterman ranks third in the ratings, behind Leno and Ted Koppel. I think
ABC should forget this deal.

I find it very curious that all of a sudden the Letterman to ABC deal sort
of leaks out of a sudden on a Friday...hmmmmmmmmm....

>The reason given is that
>while Ted Koppel's long-running show still gets numbers, they are not
>"desirable" numbers-- that is, the audience is skewing older.  Now, given
>that 45+ adults have lots of disposible income and absolutely buy things, I
>fail to understand why ad agencies still maintain that only a younger
>audience is desirable.

As far as the advertising demographics go, that's been the tradition for a
long time, go for the 25 to 45 crowd, I don't see that as ever changing.

>But I digress.  My question is, if Disney is
>successful is getting rid of Nightline, despite its good numbers, does this
>also spell the death knell for network news on TV?  I mean, the excuse
>given for getting rid of Nightline is that the cable networks like CNN and
>Fox already provide plenty of news.  But for me, what is NOT provided is in
>depth commentary and examination of various under-reported news stories--
>which Nightline does very well.

Who knows about the future of network news, it just might become the
exclusive province of the cable network, such as  CNN and Fox News. Lets
face it, even before the widespread rise of cable, the three traditional
networks starting about 25 years ago, have gradually decimated their news
organizations. Just think back for instance, what a second-to-none
journalistic organization CBS had say 30 or 40 years ago, compared to
nowadays :-(.

73, de Hakim (N1ZFF)