Disney versus Koppel

While not strictly a radio topic, this certainly does relate to
broadcasting's (allegedl) commitment to the public interest.  I notice that
ABC is seriously considering cancelling "Nightline" and replacing it with
Letterman (whose contract with CBS is nearly up).  The reason given is that
while Ted Koppel's long-running show still gets numbers, they are not
"desirable" numbers-- that is, the audience is skewing older.  Now, given
that 45+ adults have lots of disposible income and absolutely buy things, I
fail to understand why ad agencies still maintain that only a younger
audience is desirable.  But I digress.  My question is, if Disney is
successful is getting rid of Nightline, despite its good numbers, does this
also spell the death knell for network news on TV?  I mean, the excuse
given for getting rid of Nightline is that the cable networks like CNN and
Fox already provide plenty of news.  But for me, what is NOT provided is in
depth commentary and examination of various under-reported news stories--
which Nightline does very well.  I always thought that networks, be they
radio or TV, would want to be associated with a strong news division,
because it keeps the audience informed, while other programming keeps them
entertained. I realise that network news divisions are expensive to
operate, but they have performed what I believe is an essential
service.  However, in this era of conglomerates, it seems that public
interest falls second to bottom line.   Are we now in fact finished with
the concept of "public interest"?  I seldom see the FCC taking licenses
away from owners based on their not serving the public interest....