Re: Patriots Rule!

Dan Billings wrote:
> What a great game.  When do they start construction on the Tom Brady
statue?
> Maybe Jane Swift can get him to be her running mate.

Maybe he could be Robert Reich's running mate!

> Fox is now doing an appropriate tribute to Pat Summerall.  I think he
should
> take Madden with him.  I haven't really paid close attention to a game
> Madden has called in a long time, but he has become a parody of himself.
> couldn't believe that he suggested that the Patriots should run out the
> clock when there was over a minute left.  Not only has Brady been winning
> games like that all year, but if you chance overtime, you may never touch
> the ball.

At first, I was thinking of the kneeling-on-the-ball strategy, however,
they're the underdog and they have nothing to lose, so they did the right
thing. As they say, play for the win on the road (when you're the underdog)
and play for the tie at home. It was kinda funny seeing Madden retract his
line of thinking, too.

I am not watching FOX now, I'm listening to WEEI's webcast (which actually
doesn't crash now, as it used to, but that might just be since I'm not using
AOL at the moment) and surprised that there isn't some major Pete
Carroll-bashing.

> It is amazing that we have waited since 1986 for a Boston team to win a
> championship.

After McGinest got called for the hold at St. Louis went on a 14-0 run, I
started thinking of another moment from 1986 (four months and approximately
200 miles southwest, and it involved a ball rolling through a player's
legs).

I barely remember the Celtics winning the 1986 championship. I do remember
it was a weekend afternoon game (I want to say it was a Saturday afternoon,
IIRC) and rarely do you see fans rush the floor/field like that nowadays, I
would imagine primarily because of security concerns.

I let out an audible yelp when Vinatieri hit the field goal, and I think my
non-sports-literate roommate was wondering, "What the hell is going on?"

-Sean