Re: Patriots Rule!

Donna writes:
> On a happier (and less contentious) note, nice to see the Patriots playing
> so well.  But tell me-- how did they in fact become "America's
> Team?"  Usually, up to today, the national media (whoever the commentators
> are) root for the other team and the crowd roots for the other team
> too.  Today, there are loud cheers for everything the Patriots do, and
even
> the commentators are praising them.  I love it!!!

The cheers for the Patriots are probably somewhat the byproduct of the game
being played in New Orleans. The home team always secures an allotment of
tickets, and the Saints and Rams are in the same division and on
less-than-friendly terms. (Ironically enough, the Rams were eliminated from
the playoffs last year in New Orleans by the 'Aints.)

Also, since the Rams went to the Super Bowl more recently and have been
dominant in the NFL for most of the last three years, save falling apart at
the end of 2000, this is somewhat old hat for St. Louis fans. I'd imagine
more Pats fans decided to make the trip down to New Orleans.

Also, some of this has to do with the whole Patriotic red, white, and blue
thing. I actually heard (I think) Terry Bradshaw actually say he couldn't
root against the Patriots since they wear the colors of the flag! Along
somewhat the same lines, the Patriots are being considered "America's Team"
since they are the underdog, and the success of the underdog is supposed to
be symbolic of America.

I think I just took Donna's question WAY too seriously.

Once the game is over, I will definitely be trying to log into WEEI's web
site to try to download their webcast. I'm presuming they'll have Ordway and
Smerlas on after the game. Seeing how the callers are always complaining, I
wonder exactly what they will be saying once the Boston sports jinx (knock
on my desk) is snapped.

-Sean