Broadcasting Mutual Aid

I know in 1960 the Rex Center in Lowell, MA burned. It housed the studios
and transmitter for WLLH 1400 (rooftop antenna). I wonder what happened
then... I'm sure they had to evacuate the building. I don't know if they had
to move out of there at that time. Reason being is that in 1965 they used a
jingle "we've got a new tower, and more power... on W LL H".  I have the
jingle somewhere at home.  Perhaps they moved to "4 Broadway" about that
point in time. I'm not sure. The Rex Center was near the beginning of East
Merrimack St, just E of Kearney Square and between Eastern Canal and the
Concord River. As a young lad I remember passing this place into the late
60s. It was an abandonded derelict building, finally torn down in the early
70s if memory serves. I remember the building as I'd often pass through the
property to the pedestrian bridge that crossed the Pawtucket Canal to the
area of Warren and Hurd Streets, where the Lowell District Courthouse is.

A shot of the WLLH tower from 1936 is on the www.lowell-ma.com website.
Under the "1936 Flood Newspaper clippings" there is a photo caption of the
Lowell Memorial Auditorium. In the foreground is the Rex Center with the
WLLH self supporting antenna tower.
http://www.lowell-ma.com/pictures_of_lowell_1936/memorial_auditorium.jpg
is the specific link to see the photo.

Ron Gitschier