Re: Broadcasting Mutual Aid

On Wed, 17 Oct 2001 15:44:03 -0400 EM1 GITCHIER
<RGITSCHIER@doyle.navy.mil> writes:
> I know in 1960 the Rex Center in Lowell, MA burned. It housed the
> studios and transmitter for WLLH 1400 (rooftop antenna). I wonder what
> happened then... I'm sure they had to evacuate the building. I don't
know if
> they had to move out of there at that time.

 I remember Tom Clayton telling me that he covered the fire by putting
together a series of mic cords and throwing the microphone out of the
studio window, then running down onto the street and broadcasting until
the fire knocked the station off the air.

>Reason being is that in 1965 they  used a jingle "we've got a new tower,
and more >power... on W LL H".  I have  the jingle somewhere at home.
Perhaps they moved to "4 >Broadway" about  that point in time.

At the time 4 Broadway was home to the Giant Store which is where they
got the liner "In the Valley This is the Giant, Lowell and Lawrence WLLH"

> The Rex Center was near the beginning  of East Merrimack St, just E of
Kearney >Square and between Eastern Canal and  the Concord River.

The Rex Center was located where Middlesex Community College now sits,
directly across the Eastern Canal from the Lowell Sun

df