Re: XTRA (was: AM 740 not doing Legal ID)

Sven Weil wrote:

>I remember this because I used to listen
> to XTRA-690 quite a bit on te web (for
> years before all this stupid
> AFTRA/SAG/ASCAP/BMI debacle came
> to pass).

Don't forget RIAA. Nibblebox.com, which streamed about 20 college
stations, including Emerson's WERS 88.9 Boston, pulled all of its
streams off the Internet late last month with this announcement:

"We have had to temporarily stop streaming due to some discussions with
licensing organizations. The performance rights societies and the RIAA
have been working to receive fees for internet broadcasting. We have
agreed to stop streaming while we work these issues out. We hope to
resolve this and many other radio issues before the school year starts."

The school year has started and the audio streams are still down. IMO,
additional fees for music have the potential to kill college radio on
the Web. I suppose we still have plenty of streamed radio from the rest
of the world, but still...

Howard