Re: AM 740 not doing Legal ID

Garrett Wollman wrote:
>> If I recall the revision history from the CFR correctly, the legal-ID
>> rules were completely rewritten in 1972, which I think was coincident
>> with the end of the half-hour legal ID requirement.

A. Joseph Ross replied:
>Really?  That sounds a bit early to me.  I thought the liberalization of the
>half-hour requirement would have been sometime in the degregulation
>80s, not 1972.

By the time I first put on a set of headphones (fall 1984 - yikes, it's
really been seventeen years now?), station IDs on the hour and not the
half was the rule, and I got the impression it had been that way for a
while.  The guy who trained me was (and still is) a stickler for that sort
of thing.

>  I know I first noticed it in the summer of 1992, when I
>was driving around Vermont and trying to identify the stations I was
>hearing on the radio.

I'd bet a lot of stations, especially heritage stations, still stuck with
the half-hour IDs (and some still do), out of habit if for no other reason.

-Shawn Mamros
E-mail to: mamros@mit.edu