Re: Local Political Coverage

From: "Dan Billings" <dib9@gwi.net>

> It is not necessary to offer the lowest unit rate to those not entitled to
> it, though I'll certainly accept the gift if I'm buying the spots.

Outside of the rule we were speaking of, a station can charge whatever they
want...

It is not necessary to charge the highest or even average rates either...

Sometimes sowing a little goodwill within the community goes a long way...
;-)

JP

BTW....due to the limitation on rates during the politcal season, the FCC
used to allow a station to exceed the limits of commercial matter per hour.
(Back in the days of rules and regulations when there actually was a limit.)

If I remember correctly, a smaller station running 18 mins of spots/hour (an
intolerable amount IMHO), could increase their load to 22 mins during
politcal season to make up for the reduced revenue.

Thus making 36% of their programming commercial matter....

And, mind you, this wasn't 22 spots...but 22 MINUTES.... .made up of some
:30's and :20's...utterly unmanageable from any kind of programming
perspective.