Re: Manchester, NH 7-5-0 AM Coming to a radio dial near you?

On 29 Aug 2001, at 10:56, Richard Chonak wrote:

> > it was interesting to see
> > that the Portsmouth, NH 750 WHEB license was turned in. I was told that it
> > was because they were only simulcasting the FM (and seen no use in having
> > it, I deducted).
>
> The AM and FM sides of WHEB didn't always simulcast.  I think the AM
> carried a standards format in some of the later years, a la MOYL;
> whenever I tuned by, it seemed they were playing Frank.
>
> Trivia: "FM 100" (.3) started out as WPFM.

Knight gave up the AM license for pure economics.  750 was a
daytimer and would always be a daytimer.  The other AMs in this
area had longer hours of operation.  WHEB-FM was outperforming
WHEB-AM hands down in terms of sales.  It was an opportunity to
dispose of a white elephant and eliminate staff positions...including
a very prominent and respected news operation.  In fact, it probably
signalled the beginning of the end of the many and diverse news
operations in this market.  At one time there were six different
news departments, of varying size, operating in the seacoast...all
providing a decent level of local news coverage.  The radio news
coverage in the seacoast is only a shell of what it once was.

Dan Cole