FW: car radio query

73, de Hakim (N1ZFF)

-----Original Message-----
From: Hakim Madjid [mailto:HMadjid@mindspring.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 29, 2001 4:12 PM
To: Donna Halper
Cc: bri@bostonraido.org
Subject: RE: car radio query

Well like anything else it may have be arguable that Motorola was the
absolute first with a car radio, I think they made the first really
practical one, in the late 1920s. As you probably know, the company was
known as Galvin Manufacturing at the time, 'Motorola' being just the trade
mark for the radio rather than the name of the company. The way things
worked, is that the Motorola car radio was strictly an after-market add-on.
The Galvin Co., put togther a network of authorized dealer/installers Just
like today's after market car audio shops].

Natrually, as with any Next Great New Thing in our own day, the car radio
business in the 1930s would attract it's share of entreprenurs trying to get
in in the action. Of course in the midst of the Great Derpression, business
would probably not be all that easy.

As far as Delco was concerned, obviously GM, Ford, and Chrysler wern't all
that happy about their customers going to the aftermarket for car radios,
[they really still aren't today]. So obviosuly when they saw that this was
getting popular, they would want do develop their own product.

The magazine Collectible Automobile, ran an article on the early history of
car radios. I can't remember if it was last year or in 1999, however.

Incedentally, back then, there was legislation being debated to ban car
radios as a driver distraction. Sound famliar?

73, de Hakim (N1ZFF)