Re: WHEB

On 29 Aug 2001, at 17:03, DonKelley@aol.com wrote:

> I was able to convince the Knights that we should change the FM calls to
> WHEB-FM and say "FM and AM" on the ID and call the station "FM 100."  An
> obvious move today, or anytime in the last 20 years or so, but in 1971 it
> took some persuading to get it done.

I can remember when WPFM's claim to fame was broadcasting
Portsmouth High basketball.  Through the 70s and into the
80s...especially after the name change to WHEB-FM, the FM
became the more dominant of the two...following the rising trend of
FM around the country.  Its format change to rock was a good
marketing move. It's too bad they essentially gave up on the AM in
the 80s...but the daytime restriction was, I suppose, becoming
more of a liability than they were willing to accept.
Incidentally, a lot of good folks worked on Lafayette Road, as well
as in the seacoast in general.  The 60s, 70s, and into the 80s was
a rich time for broadcasting in that area.

Dan Cole