Re: WHEB

When I went to Portsmouth as the PD WHEB-AM and WPFM-FM were simulcast -- despite the separate calls.  The reason for the separate calls is that the AM and FM had split programming briefly in the late 60's, but it was considered unsuccessful.  The simulcast resumed, but the FM calls remained WPFM (as in Portsmouth FM).  The AM was the big gun.  A great signal in it's time.  Clear channel. In fact, no advertisers wanted to be on after the AM signed off at sunset.

I was able to convince the Knights that we should change the FM calls to WHEB-FM and say "FM and AM" on the ID and call the station "FM 100."  An obvious move today, or anytime in the last 20 years or so, but in 1971 it took some persuading to get it done.