Re: EAS System

Brian marveled that:
<<At 12:06EST today programming was automatically interrupted by an EAS
tornado alert.  >>

Brian,

   sadly, most tornado warnings are usually within a fifteen minute period
from time of
issuance to potential time of the storm itself forming.  (maybe Bruce S. can
help out in the weather department, now that he has a bit of spare time...)
    but most, and i say "most", EAS systems are designed to activate
automatically within twenty minutes of the reception of a signal deemed
mandatory for rebroadcast.  so ...  20 - 15 = one flattened trailer park.
    not trying to make light of the situation.   yes, the system does work.
if you hear an EAS alert in the middle of a song or a commercial, the odds
are pretty good that there is not a LIVE OPERATOR at the controls at that
moment.  this will happen during the regular monthly tests.  should you hear
one on WBZ or WBMX, and you've often wondered if W--- is automated, flip your
radio to the suspected signal and start your stopwatch.  if it's automated,
you should hear the required monthly test within 20 minutes.  if there's a
living body in the control room, you'll most likely hear the rebroadcast as
part of a normal programming break.
     i had a similar experience on one of my northward treks back from
Florida as we passed through South Carolina.  in the middle of a tune, the
EAS tones kicked in, and the tornado warning included a time-frame for which
we should be on the lookout... five minutes earlier had been the closing of
that time-frame.
    and WSJZ's Mark Edwards is not only a former Boston broadcaster, he's
also another Mainer-Living-In-Exile.  (he logged time at WCSH and WYNZ, as
well as Kiss 100)

- - Chuck (don't call me Auntie Em) Igo